Thursday, June 01, 2006

Moving along, and why I still hate full-on CMS

The website is starting to move along nicely now. I have had time to finish all of the "vanilla" design, plus all basic behavior is there. I need to add that content now, and I can see this taking up a lot of my time.

This is where a CMS or Content Management System may prove useful. I ended up making a very basic version of a content management system for a customer website once, as the only functionality they needed was to alter the content, not alter the design or behavior.

The reason I made my own basic CMS for their website was because many CMS systems allows to user to create and manage complete websites. I designed a complete website for them, and used a "tag replacement" system with resource files that are used to replace the tag with the appropriate content. This is all managed from a secure part of the site, acessible only by the administrator of that site.

I see the benefit of CMS systems, but I still think they should be left to Content Management only, a web designer should be responsible for the web design.